INTERVIEW GUIDE: BUREAU DIRECTORS/REGIONAL ADMINISTRATORS
The purpose of the interview is to obtain a profile of the bureau from the Bureau
Director's/Regional Administrator's perspective. I also need to know about exogenous
factors that affect HCFA's work environment.
1. What factors, events, forces, reforms, changes in laws and regulations, etc. have
occurred in the past year or so, or are occurring, that might affect the work environment in your bureau? (Please describe the nature of each factor: What IS
the factor, when did it occur, and what has each entailed?)
How about reorganization? . . . When was reorganization/streamlining begun in
- What changes have occurred in _________ [bureau/RO] as part of
- What is the nature/type of these changes?
How about the Strategic Plan? . . . Tell me about its implementation in your
2. Do any other changes come to mind which have affected the work environment in
3. Have all managers in your bureau had high performance leadership training?___
When?_______ Followup training?_____ When?_______
4. About how long has _________ [bureau/RO] been implementing TQE?______
What are the elements of the implementation effort (structures, training, etc.)?
5. a) How high a priority is implementing TQE is in ________ [the bureau/RO]?
b) In what ways is that priority demonstrated?
6. Please describe the activities/changes promoted in [bureau] concerning TQE.
7. The literature is filled with examples of how difficult it is to implement organizational changes--what barriers/practical difficulties have you identified as you work toward implementing customer service, empowerment, teamwork, etc.?
What examples come to mind as to how you have overcome these obstacles?
Michael W Truitt, Ph.D., D.B.A